In this assignment, we will integrate the knowledge and skills gained about the interpretation of the results of social network analysis for the study of different learning constructs. We will use the dataset available for the use in this course from the Connectivism and Connective Knowledge 2011 course (CCK11) as described in the dataset for social network analysis. In this assignment, you are asked to study the development of two networks (Twitter vs. blogs) from wee 6 to week 12 of CCK11. You are asked to prepare a reflective report in which you will interpret the result of social network analysis in relation to the development of creative potential in the networks of the two (Twitter and blogs) social media. Specifically, this report should have the following components:
- Comparative analysis of network measures (centrality and density) between weeks 6 and week 12 for both Twitter and blog. Ideally, the results will be visualized in Gephi and additionally analyzed in Tableau (e.g., to present distribution of betweenness centrality of the course participants between weeks 6 and 12 across the two social media);
- Discuss creative potential of the network participants between week 6 and week 12 for each network. Compare the opportunities for the development of network potential across the two networks (Twitter and blogs).
- Reflect on the possible threats to the validity of the interpretation of the network results for the development of creative potential. How those threats could be addressed (e.g., collection of other types of data, and if some which ones and how)?
- Prepare a report (300-400 words with a few figures) outlining the main results of your analysis
- Describe and interpret the results of all the analysis and address the above items and try to provide interpretation for the findings.
- Reflect on the possible educational contexts in which you would apply similar analysis types. Of special importance would be to identify the learning contexts that are of direct relevance to you such as work (e.g., teaching), study (e.g., courses you are taking), or research (e.g., projects). Discuss possible questions that you would be able to address in those contexts by applying the analyses used in this assignment.
- Share your report as a blog post (preferred as it allows for the broader reach). Once you have created your blog post, please, share the blog reference (URL) on Twitter with the #dalmooc hashtag and Pro Solo.
- Once you have posted and shared your blog on social media, please, read and engage into conversation of the blogs posted by at least two our participants of the course. The conversation can be done as direct comments on the blogs and/or via other social media used in the course.
- When connecting with other peers, try to compare the findings presented in their reports, connect their findings with the readings you found in the course and/or elsewhere in the web. Ideally, it would be great if you could also reflect on the applicability of each other’s results in the real-world studies/contexts.
Note: In case you do not have a blog and would not like to set up a blog, please, initiate a discussion thread on the edX forum, and share the post reference (URL) on Twitter and Pro Solo as describe above.